Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Late night sewing...

Been making my heat packs lately. Don't know if it is because my fibromyalgia and back pains been re-occuring, or just the fact that it is getting colder. I call them my "warm hugs". I have made quite a few of these lately, even have a production line going. Some are for gifts, some to hopefully sell, some just for me. They really help with all my aches and pains, and sometimes I even have 3 of them going. I usually use them in the morning, at least once during the day, and before I go to bed. In fact, as I sit here now, I have one on my neck. Now though with the cold weather, I use them just so my fibromyalgia doesn't flare up, and to keep my muscles warm.

My chiropractor has some, and was interested in seeing what I make. I made a variety of my favorite sizes. I think the most versatile is the 8" x 30" one. This can be used for the neck, or the low back. You can even warm it up, and use it as a scarf before you go into the cold. My favorite is the shoulder one, it does the shoulders and upper back. I still need to tweak it so it can also be up around the neck.

All of the "warm hugs" are made with the inner liner of a rice/herb blend, and a removable outer cover. Since I use mine so much, I know the benefits of having a cover you can wash. Not pretty otherwise!!!  Here's some pics...... (updated January 1, 2010)


















Posted by Picasa

Also made a set of hand warmers. Jim's hands get cold a lot, so just this seems to help. Just 30 seconds in the microwave and he can hold it in his hands to warm them. Should also be good inside a glove or mitten. Did a pair of mittens with the heat pack in it; but it was a little bit too tight, so back to the drawing board.

Finally, made a infinity type scarf out of fleece and cotton. Saw the link at Infarrantly Creative . Did a little variation with a bias strip (which I made as a continuous bias strip....still perfecting how to do that easily) with some green and gold trim. The only thing was that I cut the fringes too wide, so I didn't think it layed (laid??) right. Going to recut it and see.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there...maybe recutting the strips will make it lay nicer. I actually like mine bunched but if you fold it in half widthwise and then lay it on your neck is lays flat. You can choose to lay it with the colors facing out or the color facing in. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for trying out my tute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I grew up in Elgin and my father-in-law is from Joliet.

    ReplyDelete